Tuesday, May 6, 2008

You CAN Judge a Book By Its Cover.

As a self-taught designer, my schooling is based on the things I see around me: magazines, advertisements, posters, t-shirts, bumper stickers, billboards, television, film, postcards, album covers, theater, and… book covers.

An avid reader, bookshelves have always surrounded me. Books have always been an important part of my life and I wholeheartedly agree (to summarize years and years of literary propaganda) Reading is Good.

I’m currently enrolled in Rhode Island School of Design’s Print Design Process + Production program where I will begin to learn how to take my own design ideas and properly incorporate them into professional looking products. Right now they look like printed-off-the-computer-that-I-got-for-free-with-my-computer products. In other words, a little crappy.

My dream is that I will one day design book covers professionally. Pretty Dead Trees is my foray into this field. By regularly creating new designs and showcasing them for creative criticism, I hope to improve upon my skills.


This is how the project will work:

1) I pick a book to read based off a ridiculous method of page counting and coin flipping.
2) I post a link or picture of that particular edition’s cover and summary of said book.
3) When I finish the book, I create my own cover design and post it here for your comments, questions, praises and ridicule.
4) Interspersed among these designs, I’ll be dropping some interesting links and commentary about various design (and cultural) things you might find interesting.

So there you are, Pretty Dead Trees in a rather large nutshell. Hopefully, this blog will be an interesting record of my progression as a designer and it might even be interesting… hey, anything can happen!

Stay tuned!

No comments: